Tuesday 28 October 2014

When you drink a lot of wine.....

So, I can't deny that there'a quite a bit of wine quaffed in the Expat household. Neither the Ball & Chain nor I get ourselves bladdered I have to say, but we do enjoy a tipple. This means that we amass a few empty bottles and enough corks to soundproof a hangar.

If you know anything about me, you'll know that I hate throwing things out, and, that I'm a bit of a crafter, so I'm always trying to come up with things to do with used stuff. The bottles aren't such a problem because we have a recycling program here, although if there's a particularly nice label, I have been known to stick a candle in the top of the bottle. In fact, I bought a few of these a few years ago, which are rather nice. You just stick them in the wine bottle and voila! (Amazon link.)


I'm now trying to think of what to do with the huge supply of corks we have. They're beginning to take up space and, without a clear plan, it seems a little silly just to keep them.

I was thinking of making a Xmas wreath for the front door, but what will that say about us? It is rather nice though isn't it? Perhaps I will.


I was also trying to come up with jewelry ideas so if anyone has any good links, please do post in the comments section. This isn't quite what I had in mind but it's pretty close -


I have a vision of taking slices of the cork (like above), but then somehow crocheting them into a bracelet. Perhaps with a bead in between. I may need to just have a play around until I get something.

Will let you know.

5 comments:

  1. I was going to make a collage of corks at one point but then so many of our bottles now have screw caps...

    Like the candle thingy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen some nice cork boards as notice boards. Not jewelry though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite like the idea of the wreath or the bracelet.
    My corks came in handy to put over some nail ends which I found sticking through our spiral staircase after the carpet had been laid. It's only a *walk in* cupboard that houses the staircase to the attic but I didn't want anyone accidentally impaling themselves on a nail if they went behind the stairs to look through the accumulated oddments kept there. Works quite well.
    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, AA - they are very nice. Not sure I'm quite up to the silver-smithing though!

    ReplyDelete

The more the merrier....

Blog Archive